Adult Leader Basic Training and Beyond
Save time and provide an even better experience for youth members
Scouting is a simple program, but most effective when leaders are knowledgeable. To get up to speed quickly for any Scouting role, training is the key. Courses are available and many can be taken online. Time spent training will end up being a time-saver in planning and leading your group. It also provides a higher level of confidence, making your job easier! The skills, techniques, and insights learned have applications for your home and work life as well.
More than 80% of our volunteers have taken part in a course and 96% say they've found their roles rewarding enough that they'd recommend volunteering for Scouting to others.
Find a Course - By Volunteer Position
Find the right course for you by using our "Training Course Selection Wizard"
Because of the importance we place on youth member safety, certain courses are required. These include prevention of child abuse (Youth Protection Training) for all Scouting volunteers, as well as courses for leading specific types of more extreme Scouting activities (climbing, shooting sports, water sports and first aid for wilderness trips).
There are also training requirements for packs, troops, and crews to meet the Gold (and Platinum) standard for Scouting's Journey 2.0 program, our annual quality benchmarking process. Certain percentages of leaders in primary roles will need to complete the training for their position and at least one leader per group must complete Wood Badge, Scouting's advanced leadership development course
Advanced Leadership Training
Wood Badge is our advanced training program
Supplemental Training Opportunities
- Roundtables - Monthly program workshops held in each district
- University of Scouting - Select from over 75 topics at the annual spring and fall full-day workshops
Specialized Qualifications and Certifications
- Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO)
- Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS)
- Weather Hazards
- Wilderness/Remote First Aid
- Climb On Safely
- Level I and Level II Climbing Instructor - Necessary to conduct climbing
Health and Safety
- CPR Training
- Basic First Aid
- Safe Swim Defense
- Safety Afloat
- BSA Archery Range Master - Necessary to run an archery range
- BSA BB Gun Range Master - Necessary to run a BB gun range
- NRA Training - Instructor ratings available for NRA Courses including Basic Pistol Shooting, Basic Rifle Shooting, Basic Muzzleloading Rifle, NRA Muzzleloader